Saturday, November 17, 2007

New doc in town

A young doctor had moved out to a small community to
replace a doctor who was retiring.

The older doctor suggested that the young one
accompany him on his rounds,
so the community could become used to a new doctor.

At the first house a woman complains, "I've been a
little sick to my stomach."

The older doctor says, "Well, you've probably been
overdoing the fresh fruit
. Why not cut back on the amount you've been eating
and see if that does the trick?"

As they left, the younger man said, "You didn't
even examine that woman.
How'd you come to the diagnosis so quickly?"

"I didn't' have to. You noticed I dropped my
stethoscope on the floor in
there? When I bent over to pick it up, I noticed a
half-dozen banana peels in
the trash. That was what probably was making her
sick."

"Huh," the younger doctor said. "Pretty clever, I
think I'll try that at the
next house."

Arriving at the next house, they spent several
minutes talking with a
younger woman.. She complained that she just didn't
have the energy she once did
and said, "I'm feeling terribly run down lately."

"You've probably been doing too much work for the
church," the younger
doctor told her. "Perhaps you should cut back a bit
and see if that helps."

As they left, the elder doctor said, "I know that
woman well, your diagnosis
is almost certainly correct, but how did you arrive
at it?"
"Well, just like you did at the last house, I
dropped my stethoscope and
when I bent down to retrieve it, I noticed the
preacher under the bed."

0 comments: